In keeping with the fall tradition of all things pumpkin spice, here’s a french toast recipe that will meet all your pumpkin spice cravings. By baking the toast it frees me up to prepare other sides such as bacon, and fruit to go along with this twist on a traditional breakfast staple.
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup half and half cream
- 3/4 cup canned pumpkin puree
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 loaf thick sliced Texas bread, or Challah bread (12 Slices)
- Preheat the oven to 350 F
- Prepare a large baking sheet with cooking oil
- In a large bowl whisk together eggs, cream, pumpkin puree, pumpkin pie spice, vanilla and salt.
- Dip each slice of bread into the egg mixture, allowing it to soak for 10 seconds.
- Place each slice on the greased baking sheet. Bake 15-20 minutes, flipping halfway, until golden brown.
- Serve with maple syrup.
To freeze, let the toast cool, transfer the baking sheet to the freezer. Once the toast is frozen, approximately 1-2 hours, transfer to a freezer safe storage container. Freezer for 1-2 months.
To reheat, preheat oven to 350°F and bake for 10-15 minutes until heated through. OR pop the frozen slices into the toaster, and toast until thoroughly warmed through and crisp. (You may need to toast the slices a second time.)