There is nothing better on a cold winters day than a hearty bowl of soup. This soup is an all time favourite in our household.
To keep this recipe simple I am giving you permission to cheat. Use jarred jalapeño peppers and canned diced potatoes. There is no judging here. I don’t want the work of creating wonderful home cooked meals to stop you from making them. In my opinion canned goods it still better than a fast food drive through. Potatoes will freeze fine as long as they are completely covered in the liquid. But you can opt to add them at the time of cooking if you choose. This recipe makes a large batch 14 servings. I recommend splitting the recipe into 2 Large Freezer bags for 2 meals. You just got 4 meals from 2 batches. Yippee!! If you have your grated cheese, cooked ground beef, onions and peppers already bagged and stocked as a staple in your freezer this recipe will make up in minutes.
LARGE labelled Freezer bag
All ingredients go into a large freezer bag. Label with recipe name and cooking directions, I recommend double bagging in case of leakage.
- 4 medium potatoes- diced small (or 1-19oz can diced potatoes)
- ½ cup chopped onion
- ½ cup chopped green pepper
- 1 Carrot slice(or 1-14 ounce can sliced carrots)
- 2 TBSP chopped seeded jalapeno pepper (if you don’t want to chop yourself you can purchased jarred in the Mexican food section.
- 3 cups water
- 2 Tbsp Beef bouillon powder
- 2 cloves fresh minced garlic. (or 1 tsp jarred minced garlic)
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- 2 lb cooked ground beef
- 5 cups milk (for non dairy I substitute rice or almond milk)
- 6 TBSP all purpose flour
- 2 Cups Grated cheddar cheese (For dairy free option use daiya cheddar or Pepperjack style shreds )
- Recommend double bagging this one for extra protection against holes and leaks.
- Lay flat to freeze.
- You can freeze potatoes. Make sure they are covered in the liquid when freezing and defrosting to prevent them from turning brown.
- Pour contents of bag into crockpot.
- Low 8-9 hours or High 5-6 hours
- Make sure the potatoes are cooked through.